About Author

About The Author

Horace Hobson

Horace Hobson, the son of Horace Hobson Sr. and Willie Corine Walter Hobson, was born in Somerville, Tennessee, on June 5, 1947. His stepmother and father were heavy drinkers. He was only 4 when his mother left him. Due to inadequate support from his immediate family, he was relocated from one residence to another and from one school to another. Even though there was no support, he chose to participate in sports at the age of 13 while knowing it would be difficult. He lacked the necessary equipment for any sport. He eventually acquired the necessary tools and played the game at a higher level than most of the students. From junior high to high school, he played basketball and baseball, garnering all-star team honors in basketball and most valuable player accolades in baseball.

In his senior year of high school, he began drinking because of his peers’ company. He learned that it was easy for him to talk and engage in conversations when intoxicated. For his girlfriend, he waived his college goodbye and stay with his girlfriend. But little did he know, the girl of his life would cheat on him with a boy. Drama entered his life, and a fight ensued where he murdered the boy.

During his detention, he received documents for entry into the American Army. He maintained his position, and the court dismissed the case. On May 5, 1968, he began basic training at Fort Braggs in North Carolina after enlisting.

After two years of service, he was instructed to report to the Second Armor Division at Fort Hood, Texas, following basic training. He married Marion Norvelle immediately after his discharge from the service. Similar to an early relationship, they had both highs and lows. He frequently turned to alcohol. His wife left him and returned to Texas due to their disagreements and infidelity. From 1970 until 1975, he engaged in a drinking binge that involved street running and the consumption of copious amounts of alcohol. After a protracted divorce, he was finally able to reconcile with his wife in 1976. During their nine-year stay in Texas, they had two children, Frederick and Chad.

The Hercules Aero Space Division was a wonderful place to work, but his drinking and infidelity jeopardized his position. He then decided to establish his own business, for which he sold his home and relocated back to Memphis. In 1984, he constructed his dump truck and earned $300 a day. Being a drunk with a short fuse, after a year in business, he sold the dump truck and went on a three-month drinking spree. Layne & Boling, where he worked as a machinist for five years, sent him to alcoholism treatment. Three convictions for DWI resulted in his dismissal from Layne & Boling. He had to spend six months at the Pinitol farm.

While incarcerated, he contacted Mr Walker of Alpha Omega to inquire about employment opportunities. When he was liberated, he assisted him in obtaining a position as a machinist at Wilson Brothers’ machine shop. However, he lost his work, resumed drug use, and became homeless. Mr Walker informed him that Little Rock, Arkansas, had a facility for alcoholics and drug addicts. After his six years of the course, he ran into Janice Dobbins. They dated for a year before getting married.

In recovery, he learned a great deal about himself. He lost his desire to do drugs and drink alcohol. He started enjoying attending church and worshipping the Supreme Being. He suddenly realized that God was leading his life.

In 1994, he secured a $5-per-hour position at Rush Engine. In 1984, he was self-employed and earning $300 per day in Memphis, Tennessee. He now cared more about the joy he discovered in God than he did about money. From 1999 to 2020, he worked in the field of dump trucks. He achieved every goal.  


Join our mailing to read the book in electronic format.